Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature/meme brought to you by the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish (the button also belongs to them). This week’s theme is the Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters In Books.
1. Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte)– Jane is awesome. She is independent and stands up for what she believes is right. Love her.
2. Severus Snape (Harry Potter series by JK Rowling)– I love Snape because he is such a complicated character. He really does not like Harry, at all, but he is brave, loyal, and incredibly smart.
3. Todd Hewitt (The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness)– Todd grows so much through the series. He doesn’t always make the judgments or decisions you want him to, but he tries so hard to do the right thing and to protect Viola, it is hard not like him despite his faults.
4. Stevens (The Remains of Day by Kazuo Ishiguro)– Stevens is the former butler of a English gentleman and he is very prim and proper and butler-y. He is also a really well-done unreliable narrator.
5. Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery)– Anne is SO funny and endearing. She is impossible not to love!
6. Adam Real-Last-Name-Unknown (Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain)– Sometimes, there are real people who seem more absurd than fictional characters. Adam Real-Last-Name-Unknown is one of those people.
7. Tiny Cooper (Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan)– Tiny Cooper is an unforgettable character. He’s larger than life and while I think he’d drive me nuts if he was real, his character was one of the best parts of Will Grayson, Will Grayson.
8. Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins)– Kickass female hero. Need I say more?
9. Lisbeth Salander (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Stieg Larsson)– Lisbeth is badass. She’s a survivor and is smart, adaptable, and beaten up by life. She’s intriguing for sure.
10. Julia (The Magician King by Lev Grossman)– Part of what made the second book in this series better for me was that you get to learn Julia’s story and she is a far more interesting character than Quentin.
33 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Book Characters”
Oh! Anne! I loved those books when I was little. I forgot I even read them (so many books….) Jane Eyre and Snape are also goodies. Come check out mine and let me know what you think!
I just recently read Anne of Green Gables and have been listening to Anne of Avonlea on audiobook. I pretty much laugh the whole way through… she’s great!
Todd is such a perfectly flawed character. You can’t help but love him.
I need to go out and buy the books and reread them. I think I tore through them so quickly, I missed too much!
Great list! Several characters I don’t know, but they all sound fantastic. I’m in the middle of The Knife of Never Letting Go and so far LOVE Todd. There’s just something completely endearing about him. I also love Snape… considered putting him on my own list! (P.S. You have him listed as Sirius… it’s actually Severus 🙂 )
I knew I was going to get someone’s name wrong… fixing that now! (thanks for pointing it out!!)
It’s like you read my mind – SNAPE – OF COURSE!
I probably could have included almost every other Harry Potter character, but Snape always challenged me… I couldn’t wholeheartedly love him, but I couldn’t hate him either!
I think it would be fun to have him as your dark friend. He’s like the Edgar Allen Poe of Harry Potter. He’d always bring you back to earth (grounded) when you were too positive or something. Bring on the doom and gloom!
So glad other people are including snape on their lists as well!
He’s such an interesting and complex character… I was glad that we got to know him better in the later books because having him a just the mean teacher would not have been near as enjoyable!
I agree absolutely!
great list! of course, we have anne-girl in common. love her. i really want to read the girl with the dragon tattoo…must get on that.
I hope you like it! Lisbeth is totally kickass!
Great list! I also really like Anne Shirley and Jane Eyre! Interesting choice with Snape… He is a great character!
Some awesome choices here!
I was thinking about Lisabeth, but I technically never finished the book. She was definitely a character that stayed with me after I read the book/watched the movie. She’s so strong and smart. I also love Snape. He’s so complex and surprises you in the last book! Thanks for visiting my blog today =)
The Dragon Tattoo books were tough to read at points… but I liked Lisbeth, though it really sucks that we live in a world that could make a person that way!
BTW, I like all the pics of your dog on your blog– he’s so cute!!!
Ooh good list, Elizabeth! Snape! I would happily have put him on my list if I could also have included Lupin, Sirius and, well, all of them really!
And Lisbeth – she’s great, and so well written.
I’ve heard good things about Will Grayson, Will Grayson but I still don’t know what it’s about! Have to look into it more.
Will Grayson, Will Grayson was pretty good… it got a little over the top for me at the end, but I’d still recommend it pretty highly!
Great picks! I just love Tiny Cooper- he’s the glue in Will Grayson. Snape is such an interesting character too.
Yes! I love how Tiny ties everything together even though he’s not a title character!
For you guys who love Tiny Cooper – you should check out the audio book for WG, WG. The voice actors actually sing all the musical numbers!
Great tip! Thanks!
I have not read Anne of Green Gables but I loved the tv shows. A friend loaned me The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I did start it but I put it a side to read other books maybe I need to pick it up again. I have heard good things about it.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not for everyone, but it’s definitely worth a try!
You have some great choices there! Tiny is on my list also, he completely made Will Grayson for me
He was quite the character!
Oh, I love so many of your choices. Like Snape! I agree, he’s a great character. I love how he at first seems evil but then you start to sympathize with him. Also, Katniss. Great choice. And Tiny Cooper!!
Thanks, Julie! Gotta love the good YA characters!!
Great list! I love Anne of course, and ahhh Snape. Love him to death. He would have totally been on my list if I’d had male characters!!
Thanks for stopping by! — I’ve also wondered whether or not I’d still love Witch of BB pond as much as i did growing up. I’m going to need to do a re-read!
I can’t beleive I forgot Todd and Viola! Ugh! I love them! Great list. 🙂
Great choices! Love Jane Eyre and Anne Shirley too.