Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature/meme brought to you by the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish (the button also belongs to them). This week’s theme is the Top Ten Most Frustrating Characters Ever.
1. Caro from The Opposite of Hallelujah, a book I did not finish because Caro frustrated the heck out of me. She’s a stereotypical self-centered teen and I could not deal with that!
2. Hannah from When She Woke. Hannah’s motivations confused me quite a bit and I didn’t like her or sympathize with her as much as I had hoped I would. Her character was frustrating because of how disappointing it was!
3. Ranger from the Stephanie Plum series. He’s frustrating because he’s so mysterious and sexy and you just can’t pin him down. Also, as much as I like Ranger, we all know he’s not the man for Stephanie.
4. Jessica Darling from the Jessica Darling series. I became increasingly frustrated with Jessica as the series goes on and she makes a bunch of stupid decisions and is all angsty and pretentious.
5. Doug Swieteck from Okay for Now. I love Doug, but a couple of times he gives up when things get tough and that is pretty frustrating to see from a character you want to see succeed so badly!
6. Tris from Insurgent. Badass Tris suddenly becomes weepy and annoying and unable to take care of herself in the sequel. Frustrated just begins to describe how I felt about her in this one.
7. Alaska from Looking for Alaska. Frustrating because we never really know the whys of Alaska.
8. St. John Rivers from Jane Eyre. He’s just so stubborn and single-minded and repressive. I always have trouble understanding why Jane even cares about him to begin with.
9. Ethan from Beautiful Creatures. While I’d more file him under “didn’t care about” characters, it did mildly frustrate me that he doesn’t come off like a teenage boy at all.
10. Starkey from UnWholly. I know he’s meant to be the villain of the story and that I’m not supposed to like him, but I was pretty frustrated by his manipulativeness and his unwillingness to listen to reason and his reckless actions.
Who are some of the book characters that have frustrated you the most?