Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature/meme brought to you by the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish (the button also belongs to them). This week’s theme is the Top Ten Reasons I Love Being a Reader and Blogger.
Why I love to read:
1. I am always learning something new when I read. Recently I’ve learned about diverse topics like Dominican political history, tissue culture, and small-town life on the Plains.
2. Reading makes me think. Books push me to imagine experiences and events I’ve never conceived of. They get me thinking about language and art and what makes writing good and effective. They get me to think about myself and my relationships and my life and what all that means.
3. Reading is entertainment. So I get to have fun while I learn and think. And I don’t really feel like I’m rotting my brain and turning into a vegetable when I do it.
4. Reading is my preferred way to fill blank spaces of time. Stuck waiting in a doctor’s office? Eating lunch alone? On a long car ride? Bring a book/audiobook and you won’t be bored! And you don’t even have to worry about whether there is Wi-Fi or if your phone is charged!
5. Reading is a relatively low-cost hobby to have. You don’t have to buy any fancy equipment to read and you can borrow an endless supply of excellent books from your local library. Even if you don’t go to the library, used books are easily acquired and usually in great shape.
Why I love to blog about books:
6. Blogging about books helps me to think critically about what I read. I get much more out of my reading when I spend some time reflecting on it.
7. Blogging has given me a source of endless book recommendations and has helped introduce me to excellent books I would not have read or heard of otherwise.
8. Blogging has introduced me to a lot of cool people from all over the country (and world). It is really fun to develop those friendships and to have people to talk books with!
9. Blogging keeps me on the cutting edge of social media. I would have never gotten a Twitter without blogging and yeah, I sort of love the Twitter. I also signed up for an Instagram and Tumblr account recently, though I haven’t really figured out what to do with either. But without blogging, I’d probably still be a Facebook-only girl.
10. Blogging gives me a hobby, other than reading, to work on. It is my creative outlet. It helps give me the drive to try new things and set goals and grow as a person. And it keeps me accountable for some of those things.
Why do you love reading or blogging?